Civil and Religious Weddings in the Czech Republic are fully recognized by respective legal systems for all the nationalities from around the world. Translated Marriage Certificate is sent to each client within 4 weeks after the ceremony via post, as a legal proof of the marriage.
Cosmopolites‘ Wedding Agency will assist you in obtaining all the required documentation enabling you to become legally married in the Czech Republic. We will provide you with detailed guideline how and where to request and collect required documents in the country of your origin.
Generally required documents from your home country:
- Birth Certificate (or certified copy)
- Court Divorce Decree Absolute or Death Certificate (if appropriate)
- Certificate of no Impediment to Marriage – depends on a country could be asked to arrange in the Czech Republic
- The document must not be older than 6 months prior to your wedding
- Additional Documents for Catholic weddings
- Baptism certificate
- Marriage Preparation Course Certificate
- Marriage Certificate
- Letter of delegation from your priest
- Additional Documents for Orthodox weddings
According to the country of your origin all of the above mentioned documents issued in your country (except documents for religious weddings) could need legalization with a governmental stamp called an APOSTILLE that certifies documents of foreign origin for use in the Czech Republic. Clients are responsible for the charges to obtain the required documents from their home country for marriage in Czech Republic.
If you non-EU citizens you will also need the Confirmation of legal presence in the Czech Republic, issued by the Czech Immigration Police. The document must not be older than 7 working days and is issuing after your coming to the Czech Republic.
As the required documents vary for each nationality please contact us for more details.
All the required documents from your home country must be sent via registry mail to our Prague office no later than 30 days prior to the wedding day. In some cases it is enough to send scanned copy of some of the documents to your coordinator’s e-mail address, please inquire for more information. We then manage Czech translation of all received documents as required by Czech law. Also we prepare and obtain all the necessary documents from Czech Authorities.
Most Czech governmental offices have office hours on Monday and Wednesday therefore Clients are requested to arrive in Prague, Czech Republic minimum 3 working days prior to their wedding day in order to complete the administration. Our Wedding Coordinator will accompany you to the required local offices prior to the wedding ceremony.
- Czech law requires an officially authorized court interpreter to attend the ceremony if either the Bride or Groom does not speak Czech. Cosmopolites‘ Wedding Agency will ensure the presence of the interpreter
- Valid passport is required to prove the client’s identity
A: It is very simple. Read the instructions How to book your wedding or directly fill out the request form and Cosmopolites' Wedding Agency will be happy to plan your dream wedding.